Okay, so this is the part where I plead for help with planning ideas for Sadie’s first birthday party. I keep rattling it around in my brain, and I feel like I’ve just got some idiot hamster in there on a wheel, going nowhere. Here are the things that I know:
- I completely realize this party is more for Trevor and me and our family and friends. And the pictures to show Sadie when she is older. She’ll have no idea what’s going on, other than the fact that she LOVES a crowd. I know she has zero expectations about what her party “should” be like.
- We have a lot of friends and family who have supported us in this year, and we want to share it with all of them.
- Our house is small (really small), but we don’t want to spend money to have it somewhere else. And since her birthday is the beginning of April, it’s too risky weather-wise to plan on having it outdoors. We’ve definitely had parties over here before with upwards of 40 folks, but never with any sort of purpose (no, “Hey everybody, let’s watch while someone makes a mess of herself eating cake for the first time” kind of thing).
- And speaking of cake. We work very hard at avoiding food waste, and we don’t want to put that on hold just because it’s Sadie’s birthday (this is NOT a judgement call on anybody, just how we roll). So I don’t want Sadie to have her own cake to demolish. I’m thinking more like a larger-than-usual cupcake. Maybe?
- Also, I don’t want her cake to be a sugar-coma-inducing empty-calorie sort of thing. Anybody have any recipe ideas? And should I just make a big cake for the guests with the same recipe? Or order or make the kind of cake I know I like to eat (as in, a sugar-coma-inducing empty-calorie sort of thing).
- I’d rather have a big party with lots of friends and have people not bring gifts than have a small party so the number of gifts will be fewer (Does that make any sense?). There will be plenty of birthday parties in the future where she’ll know enough to want gifts. But she doesn’t have a clue, and she doesn’t need a thing. So I’m thinking of alternative ideas… any suggestions?
- Time of day. Who knows what Sadie’s nap “schedule” will be like at that point. Right now, she still hardly naps at daycare, but she relatively reliably naps at home from 9ish to 11ish and 2ish to 4ish. I think trying to have a lunch time party will be biting off more than I can chew. Pre-morning-nap would be a nightmare for me, as I’d have to get up at three in the morning to start getting ready. Should I just push her afternoon nap back? What about the other kids that might come? Will people just work it out? How do people decide this sort of thing?
- Food. I want it to be kid-friendly, healthy, but also something the adults will enjoy. Because there will definitely be more adults than kiddos. Thoughts?
- Also on food… I’m not sure I can handle both cleaning the house top-to-bottom AND making all the food. Should I just have it catered? Would that cost one million dollars?
- Will anybody care if there are no decorations? I’ve been stressing about having a cute, sweet theme for a while, but I can’t come up with anything that sticks. I absolutely LOVED seeing pictures of Tara and Becca’s twins’ party (their pictures are on FB, otherwise I’d link to them), which was a woodland creatures sort of theme (think gnomes and faeries). And you know how in school, when you heard someone else’s science fair project idea, and then you couldn’t think of your own, because all you could think about was how great an idea it was? I’ve had that going on for weeks now.
So am I being a total nutjob? Am I completely over-thinking this? Can anybody help me!?